Sunday, April 22, 2012

But it all boils down to one quotable phrase...


"If you love something, give it away."

This was given to me by some little girls who probably had no idea the effect it would have on me. As I held it in my hand and studied each letter, each word, a flood of emotions came over me. Realization: it's all going to be ok.


Today is just what I needed.

Sometimes I have those days where I don't feel like going to chuch because I could get a lot of things done if I just spent the whole day at the house.

Today was one of those days.

But I went anyway.

Sometimes I have those days where everything I hear at church is exactly what I needed to hear.

Today was one of those days.

A few of the highlights:
  • Forgive YOURSELF
  • Believe in God
  • Give of yourself to others
Yeah, those are all things I could use A LOT of practice in.

And another thing: We were asked to think of our best day. Do you want to know what I thought of? GET READY, because you'd never guess.

I closed my eyes and saw flashes. Flashes of those faces. Those faces that I love. Flashes. That first night the four of us hung out when I got off work. That night the three of us stayed up till 5:30 on your birthday. That first time just you and I talked in your room about all the hardships we'd been through. That day the four of us went to Tucanos, and then layed around all day. That time you threw up. That day we all decided to punch eachother. That night we hiked Delicate. That night when we all said goodbye. That day I drove away and realized everything. Flashes. Ok so it's not one day, but you get the idea. And sure, they aren't all perfect, but they're some of my fondest memories.

Do I repeat myself? Very well then, I repeat myself.

Next, "What if you could have your best day, every day?" WOW. Every day? I want to have my best day every day! And I can, and I will, and I started with today.

After church I went for a hike by myself. After all, it is Earth Day, and what better way to spend it?
  



What I planned to be about an hour or so hike turned into four hours totaling about nine miles. My goal was to hike up Mill Creek to find the pools. My ipod died not five minutes into the hike, which is actually probably the reason I got lost. I was lost in my thoughts. Not realizing the canyon split, I kept walking the wrong way until I realized it had been two hours, headed back to the parking lot and barely made it back before dark. Though not at all what I planned, it was a day well spent. There's something about nature that brings you closer to God, and to yourself. I'll probably go back tomorrow and hike to the pools now that I know which way not to go.

So, happy Earth Day, or something like that.

1 comment: